CLUMBER PARK CHAPEL
The Chapel seems oddly positioned standing in the
the vastness of
The Chapel was commissioned by the 5th Duke of Newcastle around 1864 and was designed by Thomas Chambers-Hine. This Chapel was not completed and became locally known as the “Pigeon Coop”. It was an embarrassment to the family and eventually the 7th Duke had it demolished and employed the eminent architect, G.F. Bodley, to design a new Chapel – this cost £30,000 (today’s equivalent to around 2.5 million) work finally being finished in 1889. Stained glass is by C.E. Kempe and interior work is largely by Ninian Comper – thus completing a trinity of Church designers who represent the pinnacle of the late 19th/early 20th Century.
The magnificent House that once accompanied the Chapel fell victim first to two disastrous fires and then, more tellingly, to financial disaster during the First World War and the Great Depression. It was demolished in 1938 leaving only the stables and Chapel.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller