County Cork, Ireland
Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Colman
Became a Cathedral in 1915
This tremendous gothic revival Cathedral was designed by E.W. Pugin and G.C. Ashlin. Work was commenced in the 1860s, but progress was slow. Once finished, however, Cobh was provided with probably Ireland's most impressive Cathedral which possesses an elegant spire containing the largest carillon of bells in Ireland.
The Cathedral dominates the small town (once known as Queenstown) from which many of the immigrant boats left for the Americas in the 19th Century.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller