ST. NICHOLAS COLE ABBEY
City of London
One of the less enthralling of Wrens post-Fire churches, St. Nicholas is surmounted by a very simple lead spire quite unlike Wrens most usually elaborate constructions. The body of the church is also quite basic, being little more than a box with a pediment.
The interiors were destroyed in 1941, and were replaced by fairly stark designs. The stained glass inside is supposed to suggest a long ship. It took until the 1960s for the church to be reopened (in the 1950s it was the scene of the heist in The Lavender Hill Mob film).
The church is now leased to the Free Church of Scotland and is properly called Cole Abbey Presbyterian Church hence its double name of St. Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller