Corringham is a medium sized village a little east of Gainsborough, like much of this part of Lincolnshire it stands on land which is not exactly flat but very gently undulating creating occasional long views and impressive skyscapes.
The church of St. Laurence is one of the oldest in this part of the county, dating to at least the later part of the Saxon period. The tower is one of those few Saxon towers that has survived without too much alteration, although to top part has clearly been fiddled with at some later date.
The bulk of the body of the church is Norman with the south arcade dating to the early 1200s and the rest older. The chancel was rebuilt later in the 13th Century. A lot of the internal carving is Early English in character being more realistic and less stylised than earlier work might have been.
In around 1882-84 a renovation was undertaken by Bodley and Garner which has been done very sympathetically indeed and does not destroy the ancient feel of the church. Indeed, their lych gate is so well blended in that at first glance it appears medieval.At the time of our visit it was late winter and the churchyard was peppered with snowdrops, making it particularly beautiful.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller