The church here is dedicated to St. Sampson who is not the Sampson of Sampson and Delilah fame, but rather a 6th Century Welsh saint.
There is no definite founding date for the church, but it was certainly here in stone by 973 AD. Oddly it was in the possession of Westminster Abbey and it is likely that the Abbey ordered the rebuilding around 1080. The 12th to 14th Centuries saw more periods of major reconstruction and enlargement.
The tower was started around 1500 and was left incomplete for nearly fifty years until the Duke of Northumberland paid for its completed in 1550.
The Victorians, as usual, had a go at restoration and did so very heavily at Cricklade removing much of the internal furnishings and rebuilding the entire southern end of the church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller