FAVERSHAM: DAVINGTON PRIORY
The oldest surviving building in Faversham, the Priory was founded for Benedictine Nuns around 1153 and it survived fairly untouched until a short period before the Reformation. By that time it has become a very small community and the last Nuns left before it could be Dissolved. The buildings were by and large then taken down and sold off, but the Church survived as the Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Lawrence serving the parts of Faversham to the west of Faversham Creek.
Much of the stonework of the church is medieval although it was restored in the Victorian period at which time all the stained glass was replaced with glass by local man Thomas Willement.
The nearby building, also known as Davington Priory, is a late Victorian confection which supposedly has some of the remnants of the Priory’s secular buildings incorporated into it. It is a private building, but in winter the tower can be seen poking above the treeline.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller