ST. DOMINIC'S PRIORY
Kentish Town, London
It had been some three hundred years since the Dominicans had been thrown out of England by Henry VIII. But by the 1840s Catholic immigrants were beginning to flood into London. In 1861 Cardinal Wiseman invited the Dominicans back to the capital to a site in Kentish Town. In 1863 the foundation stone for their new Priory was put in place and by 1867 the Priory was complete and a temporary church had been constructed.
In 1873 Thomas Walmesley of Tunbridge Wells contacted the Dominicans with his wish to building a church to honour Our Lady of Lourdes somewhere in England. Work began around 1878 and was finished by 1883.
Although the church is unspectacular, it is interesting to find a working Priory right in the centre of an otherwise modern housing area in a bustling part of London.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller