DORE ABBEY

Herefordshire

Dore Abbey, Herefordshire

Cistercian Monks

Dore, sometimes called Abbey Dore, sometimes Dore Abbey, dates to 1147 when it was founded for the Cistercians by Lord Robert D’Ewyas. His brother-in-law, St. Thomas Cantilupe, consecrated the Abbey.

Dore Abbey seems to have upheld the monastic life better than some other monasteries, it flourished without becoming overly rich and it seldom seems to have interfered with anything beyond its own boundaries. Of course, this didn’t save it and eventually Henry VIII’s officers arrived here and the Abbey was no more. The land and buildings were granted to the Scudamore family who used it as a quarry for the next hundred years or so.

The 1st Viscount Scudamore and his friend Archbiship Laud were somewhat ahead of their time in 1632 when they took an interest in the Abbey’s remaining buildings and decided to rebuild the church – they even added the stumpy little tower. By 1700 the church was a church once more … a quite unusual turnaround for a monastic ruin!

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2010


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery