A simple 19th Century Church, it replaced a first chapel, dedicated to St. Helen which was built around 1472 and rebuilt in 1725. It stood close to where the Holiday Inn now stands. The present church, dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor, was built next to St Helens in 1849, the spire being a fibreglass replica built in the 1960s. The church was some carvings inside by the famous ‘mouseman’ Robert Thompson. St. Helen’s Chapel has now gone.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller