ST. BLAISE'S CHURCH, DUBROVNIK
St. Blaise is by far the most impressive church in Dubrovnik, outshining the Cathedral (see rear left of this picture). It was completed in 1714 and dedicated to Dubrovnik's patron saint. Previous to this a medieval church stood on this site, it was severely damaged in the 1667 earthquake and then gutted by fire in 1706. This allowed the State of Dubrovnik to demolish the remains and employ Italian architect Marino Grapelli to build a new church in the current Baroque style.
The church was damaged badly in the earthquakes of 1991 and 1992 but restored soon afterwards only to be caught up in the shelling of Dubrovnik during the Yugoslav Wars. Luckily no bad damage was done to St. Blaise's and it is today one of the most striking non-military buildings in the City.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller