THE DUTCH CHURCH
City of London
The Dutch Church sits within Broad Street Ward, one of those odd semi-independent wards in the City of London. It began life way back in the early medieval period as a Monastic foundation but nothing remains from that period.
Edward VI gave Protestant refugees from the Netherlands permission to establish a parish here in 1550. As such this is the oldest Dutch-language Protestant church in the world.
In 1940 the Blitz destroyed the church entirely. In 1950 Arthur Bailey designed the new building which has replaced it, being rather austere but still sufficiently church-like.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller