The Hospital of St John at Duxford was founded around 1200 by Sir William de Coleville. It was used by the Knights Templars and as such is one of the very few extant structures in England that their order occupied. The Chapel dates to the latter end of the 13th Century when the Templars were in control.
After the Templars were disbanded the hospital fell into disuse and the Chapel became a chantry, a barn and a storehouse for a nearby inn. Today it is owned by English Heritage who at least keep it in fairly good condition, even if it is forgotten and squashed into an awkward space between the railway and the A505.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller