Although now no longer operational as a parish church, the magnificent Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Edlesborough is one of the best sited and most attractive in Buckinghamshire.
It dates to the late 13th Century, the chantry was added in 1338 and the tower in 1340. The rapid construction of the church indicating how rich the area was at that time. After a set back during the Black Death the area was once more on its feet by the mid-15th Century and the church was heavily altered at that time.
One of the treasures of the church is the 15th Century rood screen and pulpit and the misericords in the choir which are considered exceptional.
That anything has survived is remarkable because, on March 28 1824, the church was struck by lightning and the fire that resulted burnt for 12 hours. The lead in the roof melted and dripped into the body of the church burning everything it touched. Somehow the magnificent wood work managed to survive this onslaught.
Today the re-roofed and re-decorated church is in the hands of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller