The origins of the church of St. Andrew at Enfield are fuzzy. There is a certain mention of the priest in the Domesday Book, so it was definitely here by 1086. In the Anglo Saxon Chronicle Enfield is referred to as Churchbury, which pretty clearly implies there was a church here that early too.
The earliest surviving structure dates to around 1200. During the 1300s the church was enlarged and it seems probable that the tower dates to the vogue for constructing church towers which followed the Black Death.
As is usual, the church was heavily restored during the Victorian period, but it is certainly one of the nicest looking churches in this part of Middlesex.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller