ST. ETHELBURGA'S, BISHOPSGATE
City of London
One of the few churches to survive the Great Fire of 1666, there is no clear record of when this church was founded, but it is first mentioned in 1250. The church was subsequently rebuilt around 1411, the small tower was added around 1775.
During the 16th Century the church was short of money, so a wooden porch was built in front of the entrance which housed two shops to raise money for the church. These remained until 1932 when, controversially, they were knocked down when Bishopsgate was widened.
There was minor bomb damage to the church during the Blitz. However, in 1993 an IRA bomb ripped through Bishopsgate and the church was reduced to rubble. The Church of England proposed removing the shattered remains but there was a public outcry. In the end it was rebuilt to its original plan and today operates as the St. Ethelburgas Centre for Reconciliation and Peace.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller