The Old Church
The first church in Ewell is believed to date to the Saxon period, although there is no record of a church here in the Domesday Book. By 1194 there was certainly a vicar here. The church tower was added in the 14th Century and today this is all that remains of the old church of Ewell. In 1840 the Fourth Baronet of Ewell found that the parish church was in a terrible state of disrepair, so he had it demolished and some of the salvaged materials were transferred to the new church. Today the church tower stands near to the newer church as the oldest building in Ewell and an odd survivor.
The New Church
The new church in Ewell, dedicated as the old had been to St. Mary, was designed by Henry Clutton and had its foundation stone laid in 1847. Most of the church was built at the same period, although a porch was added in 1908.
There seems to have been some small damage during World War II but otherwise the 20th Century was mostly a time of repair. Unfortunately in the early 1970s a fire swept through much of the north aisle of the church and destroyed all the Victorian fabric. It took nearly a decade to reopen the whole of the church and since that time a number of modern stained glass windows have been installed, the most recent in 2000.
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller