Soke of Peterborough
This very unusual church stands in the ancient Soke of Peterborough to the east of the City.
The church – without it’s spire/tower – was designed by George Basevi in 1794 but it took nearly fifty years before work began in May 1846, just under a year later the church was opened for worship.
Ten years later the tower was added with a 125 ft spire which stood until the early 1980s when it was removed for safety reasons having had a long history of damage from a storm in 1895, severe defects in the structure in the 1950s and nearly dropping the weathercock onto the congregation in 1966! The tower had a little point roof added which gives the church a very unusual look today.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller