Fletton is now a rather unlovely suburb of Peterborough, but is actually south of the Nene and thus in Huntingdonshire. Its name is synonymous with the bricks that were once built here (and still are at Whittlesey). The church is hidden amongst residential buildings, but is venerable and along with the spire of nearby Stanground the pair mark the start of Huntingdonshire.
A church is mentioned here in 1086 but it is unclear how much of that has survived to today. The church clearly has a medieval core but appears to have been heavily Victorianised and it is hard to work out any specific dates. The Victorian work dates to 1872.
An odd anomaly here is the 9th Century Saxon carvings behind the altar and elsewhere inside. It is possible these were put here after a fire at Peterborough Cathedral in 1116, although no documentary evidence supports this, they certainly were not here from the start as there is no over evidence for a Saxon church here.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller