tiny little Bedfordshire village
is graced with a nationally important church, or rather the Mausoleum
seems to have been a church in
Flitton from the Saxon period, but the dark brown standstone church
stands today was built almost entirely between 1450 and 1490 – a
construction period for those days. The stone seems to have been
Flitton Hill nearby which may account for the speed of construction.
Lord Grey of Ruthin – later Earl of Kent – paid for the
church to be built and
the De Grey family have been the dominant force in the church’s
life since –
their stately home, Wrest Park, stands close by.
the early 17th Century a
later Duke of Kent, Henry De Grey, had the De Grey Mausoleum added to
of the church. Two more rooms were added in the 18th Century
last in the 19th which blocks off part of the chancel. This
Mausoleum is one of the largest of its kind in England and contains 20
monuments to the De Greys from 1614 to 1859.
Mausoleum is today run by English
Heritage, as is Wrest Park, and the two together are one of the more
days out in Bedfordshire.
- Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches,
Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller