New York, USA
The first congregation met here in 1702 and it was not until 1746 when a church was built and this had no bells or steeples until 1760 when a Mr John Aspinwall donated £600 for them. King George III granted the church its Charter in 1761. One of the signatories to the Declaration of Independence, Francis Lewis, was a warden here from 1765 to 1790. A new church was built in 1821 and the third and current church was built in 1854 by two local men with a penchant for traditional church building; Henry Dudley and Frank Wills.
For the next hundred years or so the church had a largely European congregation, but in the 1950s the character of Flushing began to change and in recent years the influx of immigrants to the area has become huge. In 1988 the church began services in Chinese and in 1993 in Spanish.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller