FRANCISCAN CHURCH, KRAKÓW
The Franciscans arrived in Kraków a few years before the Dominicans and their church was one of the first brick buildings constructed in the City, sometime between 1220 and 1250. The church was rebuilt in gothic style over the next couple of decades and was finally completed in the mid-15th Century.
In 1850 the church and its monastery were burnt to the ground, only the north of the transept survived the fire. All was rebuilt by Stanisław Wyspianski to as true a style as could be managed. The cloister, dating to the early 15th Century, also survived and is one of the highlights of this church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller