FULHAM PALACE CHAPEL
Fulham Palace itself dates back to the 1100s, although the oldest surviving work is Tudor and Jacobean. The history of the building and gardens is a separate issue entirely, but the Bishop’s Chapel as it stands today is Victorian.
A Chapel existed here from the earliest days of the Bishop’s Palace, but this version – the fourth to be built – dates to 1867 when William Butterfield was employed as architect for a new Chapel. He is one of the great Victorian church builders and the Chapel is, by his standards, subdued and small, seating around 90.
In World War II the Chapel was damaged, particularly the interior, and rebuilds in the 1950s included murals by Brian Thomas and a window by Ninian Comper. The Chapel remains the private chapel for the Bishop of London, although the Bishops no longer occupy the Palace having moved out in 1975.
The Palace and Grounds are open to the public, but the Chapel is only open for ceremonial purposes.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller