ST. JAMES GARLICKHITHE
City of London
Nicknamed Wrens Lantern the rebuilding of this Church after the Great Fire commenced around 1676 and was largely completed by 1682. The tower was added around 1714. The Church has the tallest interior of all the City of London churches and the large windows are what gave the Church its nickname as they allow a large amount of light inside.
World War II did serious damage to the Church and the interior had to be restored. At this point it was decided to replace the Victorian stained glass with more Georgian clear glass which restored the bright interior.
A much more recent misfortune was when one of the cranes working on the nearby Vintners Hall toppled over and hit the roof of the Church, although this damage has subsequently also been repaired.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller