GEDDINGTON CHURCH

Northamptonshire

Geddington Church, Northamptonshire

The church of St. Mary Magdalene is very ancient. The stone church dates to the late Saxon period, but it seems probably that it was predecessed by a wooden one. It is difficult to find a precise founding date for the stone church, but it is considered to have started around 950 AD. There is some Saxon arcading still visible and a Saxon grave was uncovered in the 1990s.

The Norman Kings liked the area and a hunting lodge was built in Geddington that eventually evolved into a Royal Palace. Because of this Geddington Church received more attention than a small village church might otherwise have done. Aisles were added in the 12th and 14th Centuries, the spire in the 15th.

Most famously, Geddington is the site of the best preserved of the Eleanor Crosses – the fourth in the sequence of resting places of Queen Eleanor’s body during her funeral procession from Lincoln to London in 1290.

The church escaped much Victorian rebuilding, although a lot of the interior work dates to the 19th Century.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2010


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery