GLASGOW PROTESTANT CATHEDRAL
Full dedication: St. Mungo's or St. Kentigern's
Became a Cathedral in 1123 - ceased to function as a Cathedral in 1870
The most complete medieval church in Scotland ironically no longer functions as a Cathedral proper - it is not the seat of a bishop. All Scotland's Protestant Bishoprics were dissolved during the reign of William III and Mary II in 1690, at which time the Scottish Episcopal Church (Presbytarian) was set up. St. Mungo's continued to be used as the Cathedral until the completion of St. Mary's in 1870/71. Today it is still a church, but mostly functions as a museum and community centre.
This superb view is from Glasgow's impressive "Necropolis" - the giant graveyard of massive proportions which looms over the City from it's eastern end.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller