CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE DORMITION OF THE MOTHER OF GOD
The original church dates to 1869. For the previous five years open air services had been held here for the Methodists and the Chapel, which was designed by Reverend J.N. Johnson was dedicated in 1872. By 1903 it had the largest attendance of any non-conformist church in this part of London and was known as Trinity Church (which gave its name to the road on which it now stands).
The Greek Orthodox community had been worshiping in the much smaller church of St. Barnabas but they purchased Trinity Church in 1970 and it was raised to the status of Cathedral in 1972. In the 1970s and 1980s there was a very large Greek Orthodox Community in this part of London and although it is much smaller now, the Cathedral is still one of the busiest.
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller