This tiny church standing high and isolated above the marshy land east of Faversham is St. Bartholomew’s Church, a Norman church dating from the 12th Century in a very simple and unspectacular style, but a good representation of an early church of its kind.
Although Goodnestone today is a tiny community, it was once larger and the church was restructured in both the 14th and 15th Centuries. As nearby Faversham grew, so Goodnestone became less important and the parish dwindled considerably.
In 1837 an earth tremor damaged the porch and it had to be rebuilt. In 1876 the whole church was renovated at the cost of £400, so by that time at least it was still considered worth rebuilding.
By 1985, however, there was virtually no parish left and the church was declared redundant. In 1996 it passed to the Churches Conservation Trust who undertook expensive repairs over the next few years. The church is now open daily to visitors.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller