GREAT WYMONDLEY CHURCH
This church is another of North Hertfordshires 12th Century foundations. Of the first church the south doorway seems to be the oldest surviving section dating to around 1120. The chancel arch also dates from this early phase.
Much of the remainder of the body of the church is 13th Century with some particularly early lancet windows and some fine 14th Century stained glass. As is usual the last major addition was the tower which was put in place in the mid-15th Century.
Everything was heavily restored around 1883-4, but the restoration was done with some taste.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller