GREAT STUKELEY CHURCH
The first church here, mentioned in the Domesday Book, seems to have been wooden. The first stone church dates to the 12th Century but the earliest remains today are from around 1250.
This church was heavily rebuilt during the 15th Century with the tower being added late that century. All of this was very heavily rebuilt in the late 19th Century and again just before the First World War leaving a church that is a mix of early work and heavy Victorian restoration, unlike nearby Little Stukeley where the restoration is more restrained.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller