ST. MARY'S CHURCH
St. Mary's is the oldest church in Guildford and one of the oldest in the whole county of Surrey. It is thought a wooden church was built here in the Saxon period, but the first stone church was built around 950 including the basis of the west tower which still survives today.
Around 1050 much of the nave and transepts were rebuilt and further additions were made over the next 200 years, the Church taking more or less its current form around 1250.
Further changes occurred during the Reformation years and around 1710 when the interior was stripped out and box pews were constructed. In 1863 the Victorians arrived and removed all the interiors of the Church, replacing them with typical period fixtures.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller