ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH

Harpenden, Hertfordshire

St. Nicholas' Church, Harpenden, Hertfordshire

St. Nicholas’ Church is the oldest in Harpenden and began life as a Chapel of Ease to Wheathampstead Church around 1217. It was rebuilt to a larger scale and with the addition of a tower in 1470. Much of the church building was subsequently demolished during a further enlargement of 1861.

Harpenden remained locked to the parish of Wheathampstead until 1859, only a few years later the church was enlarged greatly. Today Harpenden is a larger town than Wheathampstead and the church is also on a greater scale. It sits rather hidden off the High Street and together with the nearby Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes forms a little clump of interest at the opposite end of the town from Harpenden’s famous green spaces.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery