OLD ST. LUKE'S CHURCH
Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire
In the late 1890s it was decided that a new parish needed to be created from part of Christ Church parish in Harrogate to cope with the expanding population in the Smithy Hill area.
The local landowner, Baron du Bois de Ferrieres, gave land in the area for the construction and the foundation stone was laid in 1895. The church cost £8,000 to build and was dedicated on St. Luke’s Day (18th October) 1897 to reflect the name of the new church. The tower was added in 1902. The church hall was added in 1959 and opened to the public in 1960, but within ten years discussions were underway about the rising costs of maintaining St. Luke’s in relation to the shrinking congregation.
In 1974 it was decided to move the church to a smaller building and in 1980 the original church building was closed and has subsequently been turned into flats and renamed as St. Luke’s Court.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller