HECKINGTON CHURCH

Lincolnshire

Heckington Church, Lincolnshire

Heckington Church is large 14th Century. It was acquired as an existing church by Bardney Abbey in 1345 and rebuilding was begun around this time. The vicar was Richard de Potesgrave (whose effigy is still in the church) who was chaplain to Edward III, thus Heckington Church had a sponsor of some wealth and it allowed the restructuring to happen quickly being completed by 1380. The steeple was erected around 1360 and the south porch was the last addition bearing the arms of Edward the Confessor via Richard II who used them as his arms.

The Victorians, inevitably, got their hands on the church and there were two periods of restoration, one in 1867 and the second in 1888 which rebuilt the steeple in its present form.

One of the stained glass windows, oddly, depicts the construction of the church itself.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery