Like very many English parish churches the earliest structure here dates to the late 11th/early 12th Century. In the 13th Century the church was enlarged by the additions of aisles to the nave and all was lengthened. Very typically the tower was added in the 15th Century.
The church was gifted by King John to Llanthony Priory in 1199 – the Priory then provided the clergy for the church, despite it being halfway across the country. When Llanthony was dissolved in 1539 the Crown became patron of the church which became merely a parish church.
The Tilley family had their child
Victorian additions to the church were mostly internal, although some renovation work was undertaken to the structure.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller