HOUGHTON CONQUEST CHURCH
All Saints’ Church, although not obviously
so, is the
largest parish church in Bedfordshire. It looks smaller than the
The nave dates from around 1340 and the tower, a quite early one, was started in 1393. The chancel dates from a similar period whilst the north vestry and south porch were added around a hundred years later. At the same time the aisles were heightened and the church was re-roofed.
On the walls in the aisles are the remnants of 15th Century frescoes. Sir George Gilbert Scott arrived in 1870 and restored the church with a reasonable amount of finesse and subtlety for once. Many Bedfordshire churches were very unsympathetically renovated by the Victorians.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller