ST. JOHN'S CHURCH
The ancient church of St. Mary in Higham stands by the edges of the marshes in what is now called Lower Higham. In 1862 St. John’s in “Higham Upshire” or Upper Higham was built to replace the inconvenient and smaller church to designs by E.W. Stephens.
The church stands on high ground and its spire is visible for some distance. Although from the outside it is something of a typical Victorian church the interior has five particularly well regarded pieces of 20th Century stained glass dating from 1907 up to 1973 which are considered exemplary by glass aficionados.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller