ST. MARY'S CHURCH
This church stands remote from both Higham village and pretty much anywhere else on the edge of the extensive marshes surrounding the Thames in this area.The earliest records suggest a Norman period church here, but most of it was reworked in the 14th Century, most likely when a group of Benedictine Nuns moved into a property just across the street. This small church with its distinctive striped walls has remained broadly the same ever since, it didn’t suffer during the Reformation because the Nuns had already left and although it was restored in 1863 the exterior has survived more or less intact and most of the work was done inside.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. and Jacqui Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller