Hitchin started out life when King Offa founded a monastery where St. Mary’s Church now stands around the year 792 AD.
The Priory, built initially for the Carmelites was
in 1317 by Edward II. The Priory survived and prospered until 1539 when
VIII came along and dissolved both it and Temple Disney
Ralph Radcliffe was sold the Priory in 1548 and his family lived here until 1963. In the late 1700s the family employed the famed architect Robert Adam to redesign the Priory and we are left today with one of the least known but most characteristic of Robert Adam buildings – particularly when seen from the lawns.
Local legend suggests an underground passage ran
Today Hitchin Priory is a conference centre and training facility.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller