Today, the smallest of the three Hoo churches is Allhallows – or All Saints’ – Church in the old part of Allhallows village. It is not now often referred to as “Hoo Allhallows” although traditionally this is what it was.
The earliest church would appear to be of Saxon origin and some bits of Saxon period stonework can still be found in the south west wall. However, the church was almost entirely rebuilt around 1180 when the south aisle and door was added, the north aisle following about 40 years later.
The font dates to around 1220 and there seems to be evidence for plans for a tower around 1300, but this never occurred. In the reign of Edward III the church was enlarged and the chancel rebuilt.
Further changes were made in the 15th Century but after some years of neglect work was undertaken to renovate and modernise the church around 1901. This involved the removal of the box pews which were photographed before their destruction. The new roof and small bell tower date to around 1891. Around 1920 the Tudor period communion table was found at the ‘Rose and Crown’ pub and brought back to the church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. and Jacqui Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller