HOUGHTON REGIS CHURCH
Another of Bedfordshire’s distinctive chequerboard churches, Houghton Regis stands forlornly in the outskirts of Dunstable and Luton at what was once a pretty country village and is now a somewhat worn out-looking suburb.
The first record of a church here is the Domesday Book of 1086, but what stands today is no earlier than the 14th Century. The Tower is a century or so later and was built in three sections. Parts of the north doorway date to the 14th Century original but the vast majority of the work remaining today dates to the huge rebuild of 1879 when parapets seem to have been added to every exterior surface available.
The weathervane dates to 1750 and managed to survive the Victorian restructuring. In recent years and complete renovation of the church took place which has left it in very good condition, although it still feels a bit isolated in its current surroundings instead of being in some lovely country village.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller