CHURCH OF ST. MARY WITH ST. HUGH

Harlow, Essex

Church of St. Mary with St. Hugh, Harlow, Essex

The earliest of the churches around Harlow, it now stands in a suburb of Old Harlow (and thus a suburb of a suburb). The earliest recorded mention is in 1219 when it was the Church of St. Mary, it has also intermittently be known as the Church of St. Mary and All Saints and the Church of St. Hugh before the current dedication was finally arrived at.

 Much of the current church dates to a 19th Century rebuild, although remnants of the original structures do remain. The core of the church was built in the 1300s with the transept being added last around 1390. The chancel and vestry were added in the late 1400s. The earliest definite survival is a round-headed window in the nave which dates from the 1200s.

 In the 1680s the church was repaired and ornamented but in 1708 a massive fire swept through the church destroying the roof and steeple and most of the glass. Repair work was undertaken but the majority of this work was swept away by a major restoration in 1875 which removed the west tower, interior galleries, replaced the spire and central tower and windows and added the south porch.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery