HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
Great Portland Street, London
This church, now unused, is another of the Commission Churches or Waterloo Churches a series of churches built across London ostensibly to celebrate the victory over Napoleon at Waterloo, but just as likely to keep the hoi-polloi in the Church of England at a time when non-conformist movements were strong.
Holy Trinity was designed by Sir John Soane and was finished in 1828. It is built in neo-classical style and has an exterior pulpit for preaching to the masses. The Greek-style frontage and lantern tower are typical of the Waterloo Churches and can be seen elsewhere in London (for instance, at St Mary, Bryanston Square or at St. Mary le Bone).
The church had a fairly short life and was disused by the 1930s. In 1936 it was bought by the new Penguin Books Company for us as a store. A childrens slide was installed to deliver books from outside into the crypt. Today, sadly, the church is used sporadically as a book shop and is in need of some serious attention.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller