The Church was begun here by Geoffrey de Clinton between 1100 and 1135. His successor signed the manor of Hughenden over to Kenilworth Priory and it would appear that they rebuilt the Church sometime subsequently. Much of what remains today looks 14th-15th Century.
The Church and the Manor House nearby were bought by Benjamin Disraeli in 1848 and it is this period which Hughenden is now most famous for. It can only be presumed that the Church became a parish church when Kenilworth Priory was Dissolved as its history between then and Disraeli’s arrival is foggy to say the least.
Disraeli, his wife and other members of his family are now buried in the crypt of the Church and a memorial to him built by Queen Victoria stands in the Chancel.
Most people pass by the Church without giving it a second glance on their way to Hughenden Manor but it is certainly worth a quick detour.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller