ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH
The Parish Church of Isleham dates to the 14th Century, but it seems to have come into its own after the Priory Church ceased to function as anything but a barn.
St. Andrew's is a bit of a mish-mash of different architectural styles which seems to upset purist church aficionados. For instance, the bulk of the church is 16th-17th Century, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th Century by G.E. Street, whilst many of the windows are Georgian.
The church is of a fair size and the interior continues the theme of space and light, with a wide nave and tall arcading. The interior fixtures and decorations continue the mish-mash theme with the oldest dating to 1321 and others being 20th Century.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller