THE FREE CHURCH
St. Ives, Huntingdonshire
The “Free Church” in St. Ives is one of the oldest Nonconformist churches in England. The first Act of Uniformity was enacted in 1559 and the church was first built in the 1630s when the Puritans were strong in St. Ives and Oliver Cromwell was a resident in the town. His statue now stands in the square immediately outside the Church.
The building which stands today is much more modern, dating only from 1864 and the interiors were thoroughly modernised in 1980. Today it houses a café, shops and often community functions. In an unusual way the Free Church is far more at the heart of St. Ives than the Anglican church which stands isolated at the far end of the town centre.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller