Like many English churches, it is thought that the first foundation here was in the Saxon period, and also like many other churches there is nothing much to be seen to support that claim.
However, a large church – to approximately the plan of the surviving structure – was built in 1220 and was either a surprisingly large foundation or an increase to an earlier well-established parish.
The first church was set on fire in 1234 and little remains; it was subsequently rebuilt around 1241 with the tower being added – as usual – in the fourteenth century when the last major additions to the body of the church were also undertaken.
The interior has a famed angel ceiling and Elizabethan pews. All was restored extensively in 1872 by E.G. Street with a degree of care and attention which allows some of its older character to survive.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller