St James Church, although mostly 18th Century, is on a site which dates back to around 1100 when a Benedictine Nunnery was founded here which became quite powerful in the northern fringes of London.
After the Dissolution the Nunnery was sold off, but the church was given over to the parishioners and from thereon in would operate as parish church. By 1788 the old church, built around the remains of the original Nunnery, was considered to be too much of an anachronism and a mess and James Carr was employed to rebuild it. The new church was dedicated in 1792; much was then rebuilt in the 1840s and 1880s so today we have a rather mixed up looking structure (ironically much as it might have been in 1788).
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller