ST. JOHN'S GATE
One of the few monastic remains in London, the Gate was built as a protective gateway around 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra to shelter the Priory of the Knights of St. John (the Knights Hospitallers).
The Gate survived the destruction of the Priory and was rebuilt almost entirely during the Victorian period by, amongst others, W P Griffiths, R Norman Shaw and the least known of the Scotts John Oldrid Scott.
Samuel Johnson worked here at times, but it became best known when, in 1703 Richard Hogarth opened a coffee shop on the ground floor his son was William Hogarth and although he left when still a child, his association with St. Johns Gate is celebrated by St. Johns Ambulance who, as the eventual successors to the Knights Hospitallers, still own the building today.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller