A church existed at
some time before 1066, at the time of the Norman invasion the land was
King Harold Godwinson himself and thus became a Crown property. A
recorded at the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 at which time it came
the ownership of the de Warenne Earls of
The earliest surviving
today date from the 13th Century when Kimbolton, protected
castle, was becoming one of the major settlements in this part of
Much of the nave and central parts of the church date from the 13th Century, although there is some suggestion that the nave arcades might pre-date the Norman Conquest as they have a distinctly Saxon look to them.
The tower and spire
were added in
the 14th Century, the spire is one of the best early
spire construction in
In 1521 the then owner of nearby Kimbolton Castle, the 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was executed for treason and the castle passed to the Wingfield family, during this period Katherine of Aragon – the spurned first wife of Henry VIII – spent the last years of her life in Kimbolton and would have worshipped at the church.
In the ensuing years alterations were made to the church – and indeed the castle – by the Dukes of Manchester who owned the Castle for 350 years. This includes the Montagu vault and some restructuring work in the 18th and 19th centuries. Once of the last great additions is the glass in the south chapel which depicts the twin daughters of Consuelo Yznaga, widow of the 8th Duke. This was created by Louis Comfort Tiffany, son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, in 1901 and is considered one his great works. This is the same Tiffany responsible for the design of the famous Tiffany Lamps and there is more than an echo of this design in the window at Kimbolton.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller