ST. KLIMENT OHRIDSKI CATHEDRAL
The original Cathedral of Skopje was burnt down by retreating Fascists in 1944. The only other Orthodox Church in the City Centre, St. Demetrius was too small to hold the congregation, so a decision was made to build a new Cathedral.
However, it took another thirty years for construction work to begin. Local architect Slavko Brezovski designed the church using modern materials such as concrete. Work began in 1972 and it took until August 1990 before the Cathedral was ready for consecration.
Although the concrete and brown metal used gives the church a slightly downtrodden appearance, you can admire the sweeping lines and unusually jelly mould shape that the Cathedral has. It is nothing if not distinctive and is disappointingly unadventurous inside. Still it is proof that even in the 1970s it was possible to produce decent enough church architecture.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller